The Progressive Insurance Company began selling automobile insurance in 1937. Today, Progressive is the third-largest U.S. insurer. Progressive holds over $56 billion in assets and, in 2019, earned $39 billion in revenue.
Progressive offers a full portfolio of individual and business insurance coverage, along with financial products, including home mortgages and personal loans.
The provider makes it easy for customers to request an online insurance quote, file a claim, and price shop using the Progressive website or mobile app. If you are in the market for insurance and like to control the quote process, Progressive may be worth your consideration.
Progressive car insurance
Types of coverage
- Bodily injury and property damage liability: If you’re at fault in an accident, your liability coverage will help pay the medical expenses and repair costs of the other driver. State laws require motorists to carry a minimum amount of liability coverage.
- Comprehensive: State laws don’t require drivers to carry comprehensive insurance, but if you finance a vehicle, the lender will probably require it. Comprehensive car insurance covers non-collision damage or losses. For instance, if a thief steals your car or it’s damaged in a storm, your comprehensive insurance will pay to repair or replace it.
- Like comprehensive coverage, states don’t require you to purchase collision insurance, but lenders require it for financed vehicles. Collision insurance pays to repair or replace your automobile following a collision.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist bodily injury and property damage: If an uninsured or underinsured driver causes an accident, this type of coverage will help pay for your medical expenses and repair costs. Some states require you to carry uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance.
- Medical payments: Medical payments coverage, also called personal injury protection, pays the medical or funeral expenses of you and your passengers following a collision. Some states require drivers to carry PIP coverage.
Progressive also offers optional coverages that, while not required, provide additional protection for drivers who need them:
- Custom parts and equipment value: Car owners often add custom equipment such as stereos or navigation systems, which standard car insurance doesn’t cover. But with custom parts and equipment value coverage, Progressive will pay up to $5,000 to repair or replace customizations following a covered accident.
- For each policy period you remain claims-free, Progressive will reduce your collision and comprehensive deductibles by $50, but only if you choose the deductible savings bank option.
- Lease/loan payoff: Insurance companies only pay the actual cash value of a vehicle when it is totaled in an accident. When totaling a leased or financed car, the owner may owe the leasing company or lender more money than the claim will cover. Progressive’s lease/loan payoff coverage helps fill the gap between what the insurance company pays and the amount you still owe on the lease or loan.
- Rental car reimbursement: If your car needs repairs after a covered accident, Progressive’s rental car reimbursement coverage can help offset the cost of renting a vehicle.
- Rideshare: Rideshare companies offer some insurance coverage for drivers and their vehicles. But the coverage they provide only covers you and your vehicle during trips requested by a customer. Progressive’s rideshare coverage fills in the gap, extending your personal car insurance coverage to cover you and your vehicle while you’re logged in to your ridesharing app but not transporting a passenger.
- Roadside assistance: When you have a flat tire, need a tow, or lock yourself out of your automobile, Progressive’s roadside assistance can come to the rescue.
The cost of Progressive car insurance
The average annual car insurance premium for full coverage is $1,509. This price rises or drops depending on the location, the type of car, and the insurance provider. Progressive does not claim to have the cheapest rates in the market but still offers a lower rate than the average cost.
|The average annual cost for minimum coverage
|The average annual cost for full coverage
Progressive also offers various programs and discounts to help lower your premium without sacrificing coverage.
Progressive offers several ways for you to reduce your car insurance premium, including the following discounts:
- Automatic payment
- Continuous insurance
- Distant student
- Good student
- Online quote
- Paperless documents
- Pay in-full
- Sign online.
- Teen driver
The Progressive Snapshot program is the insurer’s more recent discount program that leverages technology to help you save even more money. All you need to do is download the Snapshot app to your smartphone or install a device in your vehicle.
Using GPS and sensors, the app or device tracks your driving habits and rewards safe driving behavior with lower premiums.
Progressive home insurance
Most insurance companies offer a discount when you purchase multiple policies. While shopping for auto insurance, also get a quote for a Progressive homeowner’s policy to see how much you can save. Note that while Progressive does offer home insurance, these policies are underwritten by third-party providers who service the claims.
Types of coverage
Progressive’s standard home insurance policies include:
- Dwelling coverage: If your house sustains damage, dwelling coverage can help pay for rebuilding or repair costs.
- Loss of use coverage: Homeowners sometimes need to move out of their houses following a covered calamity. Loss of use coverage can help pay for your hotel and meal expenses while your home is under reconstruction.
- If someone sustains an injury inside your home or in your yard, medical payment coverage can help pay the medical expenses.
- Other structure coverage: Dwelling coverage only pays to repair or replace your house. However, other structures’ coverage protects unattached structures such as detached garages, fences, and sheds.
- Personal liability coverage: If someone sues you because of an injury sustained on your property, personal liability coverage can help pay your legal expenses.
- Personal possessions coverage: Personal possessions coverage can help pay for replacement items such as furniture and clothing. While Progressive sets limits on certain types of property, you can add additional coverage for expensive items such as artwork, jewelry, and musical instruments.
Progressive homeowners policyholders may also choose to purchase optional coverages, including:
- Personal injury coverage: Your personal injury coverage can offset your legal expenses for specific circumstances such as wrongful eviction, false arrest or slander and libel.
- Water back-up coverage: Dwelling coverage doesn’t pay for damages caused by sump pump or sewer back-ups, but Progressive’s optional water back-up coverage does.
Cost of Progressive home insurance
If you have a home loan, your lender likely requires you to have homeowners insurance. You can let your lender choose the coverage for you, but it may be cheaper to compare quotes from several providers and purchase your own home insurance.
The average annual cost of a Progressive homeowners insurance policy for a $250,000 home is $1,141. You may be able to find rates lower than the average by taking advantage of Progressive’s discounts, although these can vary by state and homeowner.
Progressive has an online tool, the HomeQuote Explorer, which allows you to compare rates and coverage from its affiliates and third-party companies. When considering your quote, don’t forget to ask about discounts. Qualified homeowners can apply for these discounts.
- Alarm system and safety devices
- Bundled auto and home insurance
- Pay in-full
- New home construction
- new home purchase
Progressive life insurance
Progressive does not underwrite its life insurance policies, but partners with a company called Efinancial to match customers with different life insurance brands. Some of these are AIG, Fidelity Life, John Hancock Insurance, Mutual of Omaha, Prudential, and Transamerica.
If you buy life insurance from Progressive, it is financial that you will be working with. Some people may see this as a red flag, but both Progressive and Efinancial are well-rated companies and have been known to provide superior customer service.
Types of coverage
Four types of life insurance policies are sold by Progressive and Efinancial. These are:
- Term life insurance: An affordable option, term life insurance can be set for a fixed length of time, typically 10, 20, or 30 years.
- Whole life insurance: A form of permanent life insurance, this option has fixed premiums and also a growing cash value that you can borrow against.
- Universal life insurance With flexible premiums and a death benefit, this coverage option lasts a lifetime and also has a cash value component.
- Final Expense insurance: This coverage option helps pay for funeral or burial and any outstanding legal or medical expenses that beneficiaries need to settle.
Reasons why Progressive is a great option
Progressive car insurance is a great choice for good drivers. Its Snapshot program monitors your driving habits and offers discounts for good drivers. The Progressive website features a “Name Your Price” tool, which matches the coverage available with the price you want to pay for auto insurance.
Another great coverage option is the Accident Forgiveness program. If you qualify, your rate after an accident, even if it was your fault. These benefits can vary by state but can help protect your rate after one at-fault accident.
Although Progressive’s standard home and renter’s policies offer the most common coverages, their optional coverages fall short.
Other providers offer more comprehensive options, including replacement cost and identity theft coverage. Regardless, Progressive may be a great option if you’re in search of standard coverage for your home with multiple discounts and other policy types available.
Additional policies offered by Progressive
- Classic car
- Golf cart
- Mobile home
Frequently asked questions
What do I need to get a quote from Progressive?
To get a Progressive quote, input your ZIP code on its website and answer a few questions about your driving history and vehicle.
Does Progressive offer discounts for bundling policies?
Progressive will typically offer a discount if you purchase more than one type of policy. However, keep in mind that some policies will be underwritten and serviced by third-party providers.
How do I file a claim with Progressive?
Progressive claims are easy to file. You can log into your account to file a claim, file a claim through the mobile app or by calling the toll-free number.
How long does it take Progressive to resolve an insurance claim?
The length of time required to resolve a claim can vary depending on the type of claim you file. For example, if you file a claim for a cracked windshield, you can usually complete the claim and repair process within a couple of days.
However, if you file a claim on your home, you may need to get repair estimates and schedule an appointment with a Progressive adjuster, which could take a few days or weeks.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on a 40-year-old male and female driver with a clean driving record, good credit, and the following full coverage limits:
- $100,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $300,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $50,000 property damage liability per accident
- $100,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per person
- $300,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per accident
- $500 collision deductible
- $500 comprehensive deductible
To determine minimum coverage limits, Bankrate used minimum coverages that meet each state’s requirements. Our sample drivers own a 2018 Honda Accord, commute five days a week and drive 12,000 miles annually.
These are sample rates and should be used for comparative purposes only. Your quotes may be different.
- What Is Term Life Insurance and How Does It Work?
- What is Renters Insurance and How Does it Work?
- How to Get Free or Low-Cost Health Insurance
- Car Insurance Average Costs (2022)
- What is the Cost of Motorbike Insurance?
- What Is an Exclusive Provider Organization (EPO) Plan?
- What Is Collision Insurance and How Does It Work?
- What is Dental Insurance and What Does it Cover?
- What is Unemployment Insurance, and How Does it Work?
- How to Cancel GEICO Auto Insurance
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- How to Make an Insurance Adjuster Fearful